One Year On: IPv4 Exhaust

Radu-Adrian Feurdean nanog at radu-adrian.feurdean.net
Sun Sep 25 21:58:10 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016, at 23:27, Mark Andrews wrote:

> But it shows that if you turn on IPv6 on the servers you will get
> IPv6 traffic.  We are no longer is a world where turning on IPv6
> got you a handful of connections.  There are billions of devices
> that can talk IPv6 to you today the moment you allow them to.

I know, but for the "server guys" turning on IPv6 it's pretty low on
priority list.

> Can all your customers talk IPv6 to you?  No.
> It the proportion of customers that can talk IPv6 to you increasing?
> Yes.

My customers are eyeballs. Residential ones have dual-stack by default,
business - some have, some don't and some explicitly refuse (or ask for
v6 to be disabled).

> Is somewhere between 11-14% worldwide enough for you to invest the
> time to turn on IPv6 enough?  It should be.

Since they (the 11-14% worldwide) do have IPv4 anyway, some consider
it's not worth; at least not yet.

The issue with IPv6 deployment it's not as simple as some people
suggest. It's not a technical problem either, but it's a big one.