One Year On: IPv4 Exhaust

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Sep 25 21:27:37 UTC 2016

In message <1474836642.4090975.736557521.25674A77 at webmail.messagingengine.com>, "Radu-Adrian Feurdean" writes:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016, at 18:29, Ca By wrote:
> > Think it is fair to say big content and big eyeballs have moved to IPv6
> > (notable exceptions exist)
> >
> > http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/blog/2016/08/facebook-akamai-pass-major-milestone-over-50-ipv6-from-us-mobile-networks/
>
> Big, yes, many - not really.
> While looking in the flow logs I could see the same (bandwidth
> intensive) destinations again and again. It's like ~4-5 destinations
> doing at least half of the IPv6 traffic.

But it shows that if you turn on IPv6 on the servers you will get
IPv6 traffic.  We are no longer is a world where turning on IPv6
got you a handful of connections.  There are billions of devices
that can talk IPv6 to you today the moment you allow them to.

Can all your customers talk IPv6 to you?  No.
It the proportion of customers that can talk IPv6 to you increasing?  Yes.
Is somewhere between 11-14% worldwide enough for you to invest the
time to turn on IPv6 enough?  It should be.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org