Krebs on Security booted off Akamai network after DDoS attack proves pricey

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Sun Sep 25 18:16:47 UTC 2016

Has anyone stopped to consider what a gift these hackers gave all of
us?  They exposed their capabilities and nobody got hurt.  We all had a
notion as to what sort of attacks were possible in theory.  Now we have
reality.  Business being what it is, customers may not be interested in
others' security, but IoT being what it is, they might be interested in
their own: in this instance, as I understand it, cameras were involved.
If a camera could be used to attack someone else, it could be used to
invade the privacy of the owner.  If consumers come to see that as a
threat, that'd be a good first step to internalizing what was an
externality.  At that point you can sell something.

Big if, though.

Eliot