Krebs on Security booted off Akamai network after DDoS attack proves pricey

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 14:36:18 UTC 2016

On Sunday, September 25, 2016, Jay Farrell via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org>
wrote:

> And of course Brian Krebs has a thing or two to say, not the least is which
> to push for BCP38 (good luck with that, right?).
>
> https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/09/the-democratization-of-censorship/

Yeh, bcp38 is not a viable solution.

As long as their is one spoof capable network on the net, the problem will
not be solved. While bcp38 is a true bcp, it is not a solution. It will
not, and has not, moved the needle.

A solution is aggregating the telemetry of source IP addresses in the
botnet and assigning blame and liability to the owners of the IP addresses
/ host ASN.

The networks can then use AUP to shutdown the bot members.

As where http://openntpproject.org/ was a proactive approach, Kreb's data
can be reactive approach. And since the data is evidence of a crime, the
network operators can enforce the AUP. The attack did happen. This ip was
involved. Remediation is required.