CDN Overload?

Bruce Curtis bruce.curtis at ndsu.edu
Thu Sep 22 21:28:17 UTC 2016

  I have seen traffic from Microsoft in Europe to single hosts on our campus that seemed to be unusually (high bps) and long.

  I don’t recall if the few multiple hosts I noticed this on over time were only on our campus wifi.

  If not perhaps the common factor is longer latency?  Both connects over wireless and connections from Europe to the US would have longer latency.

  Perhaps this longer latency combined with some other factor is triggering a but in modern TCP Congestion Control algorithms?

This mentions that there have been bugs in TCP Congestion Control algorithm implementations.   Perhaps there could be other bugs that result in the descried issue?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ms_feb07_eval.ppt.pdf

I have seen cases on our campus where too small buffers on an ethernet switch caused a Linux TCP Congestion Control algorithm to act badly resulting in slower downloads than a simple algorithm that depended on dropped packets rather than trying to determine window sizes etc.  The fix in that case was to increase the buffer size.  Of course buffer bloat is also known to play havoc with TCP Congestion Control algorithms.  Just wondering if some combination of higher latency and another unknown variable or just a bug might cause a TCP Congestion Control algorithm to think it can safely try to increase the transmit rate?

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis at ndsu.edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University