CDN Overload?

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Tue Sep 20 07:44:24 UTC 2016

On 20 Sep 2016 9:14 am, "George Skorup" <george at cbcast.com> wrote:

> Now lets move the Windows 10 updates. A 'buried in the sticks' customer
on Canopy 900 FSK. 1.5Mbps/384k. Multiple streams from Microsoft and LLNW
at the same time. LLNW alone had maybe 10 streams going and was sending at
over 15Mbps on average and at worst about 25Mbps... to a 1.5Mbps
subscriber. I could throw in a MikroTik queue upstream which only moved the
problem as that 15-25Mbps was still hitting backhaul links. And when I have
a 100Mbps link going into the site, 25Mbps is a lot.

Maybe I'm being naive but this sounds like an issue primarily with buffers.
Police rather than shape the traffic, and reduce the burst size, and a lot
of this should disappear...