"Defensive" BGP hijacking?

Sean Rose onetrueseanrose at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 22:16:26 UTC 2016

And here's the final bit. I'd like to think that is 100% conclusive proof
of what happened.

The IP range hijacked by backconnect.net, 72.20.0.0/24 returns interesting
results on google:

https://staminus.thecthulhu.com/zine.txt

    ## Global allows
    ALLOW_MAIN=""
    ALLOW_MAIN="$ALLOW_MAIN $RFC1918 $LOCAL"
    ALLOW_MAIN="$ALLOW_MAIN 72.20.1.2 72.20.0.0/24 69.197.1.0/24"   # Internal

Backconnect.net hijacked Staminus's internal management range 72.20.0.0/24
and used that to gain further access to Staminus's systems.