"Defensive" BGP hijacking?

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Mon Sep 19 02:25:44 UTC 2016

So after reading your explanation of things...

Your technical protections for your client proved sufficient to handle the
attack. You took OFFENSIVE action by hijacking the IP space. By your own
statements, it was only in response to threats against your company. You
were no longer providing DDoS protection to a client. You were exacting a
vendetta against someone who was being MEAN to you. Even if that person
probably deserved it, you still cannot do what was done.

I appreciate the desire to want to protect friends and family from
anonymous threats, and also realize how ill equipped law enforcement
usually is while something like this is occurring.

However, in my view, by taking the action you did, you have shown your
company isn't ready to be operating in the security space. Being threatened
by bad actors is a nominal part of doing business in the security space.
Unfortunately you didn't handle it well, and I think that will stick to you
for a long time.