QWEST.NET can you fix your nameservers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Sep 15 23:59:45 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 7:30 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> Then there is SPF.  A fare portion of the reason why the SPF record
> failed, despite it being architectually cleaner than using TXT
> records, is that some nameservers gave bad responses to SPF queries.

Hi Mark,

I'm going to stop you there. The SPF record type failed because
resolvers can't pass requests between clients and authoritative
servers unless they can parse them. New DNS record types essentially
require a universal software upgrade before they work. And universal
software upgrades do not happen well or in anything approaching a
timely manner. The next new DNS record type will fail for the same
reason. And the one after that.

TXT is the DNS record type that's extensible without a software
upgrade. Like it or lump it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us