"Defensive" BGP hijacking?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Tue Sep 13 18:39:31 UTC 2016

Bryant Townsend wrote on 9/13/2016 2:22 AM:
> This was the point where I decided
> I needed to go on the offensive to protect myself, my partner, visiting
> family, and my employees. The actions proved to be extremely effective, as
> all forms of harassment and threats from the attackers immediately stopped.

Bryant, what actions, exactly, did you take? This topic seems
intentionally glossed over while you spend a much larger amount of time
explaining the back story and your motivations rather than your actions.

Questions I was left with:

 1. What prefixes have you announced without permission (not just this
    event)?
 2. How did you identify these prefixes?
 3. Did you attempt to contact the owner of these prefixes?
 4. Did you attempt to contact the origin or transit AS of these prefixes?
 5. What was the process to get your upstream AS to accept these prefix
    announcements?
 6. Was your upstream AS complicit in allowing you to announce prefixes
    you did not have authorization to announce?