Lawsuits for falsyfying DNS responses ?

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Mon Sep 12 17:41:16 UTC 2016

As many may know, the province of Québec has passed a law to protect the
interests of its lottery corporation.

To do so, it will provide ISPs with list of web sites to block (aka:
only allow its own gambing web site).

There is an opportunity to comment this week in which I will submit.

(I've gathered many arguments over the past little while already). But
have a specific question today:

Are there examples of an ISP getting sued because it redirected traffic
that should have gone to original site ?

For instance, user asks for www.google.com and ISP's DNS responds with
an IP that points to a bing server?

If the risk of a lawsuit is real, then it brings new dimension to
arguments already made agains that (stupiod) Québec law.

(And it also creates interesting issues for DNS servers from companies
such as Google which may have a anycast server located in Québec but are
not considered an ISP and won't receive those documenst from the gov
with list of websites to block.