"Defensive" BGP hijacking?

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Mon Sep 12 16:09:16 UTC 2016

Once we let providers cross the line from legal to illegal actions, we're no better than the crooks, and the Internet will descend into lawless chaos. BackConnect's illicit action undoubtedly injured innocent parties, so it's not self defense, any more than shooting wildly into a crowd to stop an attacker would be self defense.

This thoughtless action requires a response from the community, and an apology from BackConnect.

If we can't police ourselves, someone we don't like will do it for us.

 -mel beckman