Looking for recommendations for a dedicated ping responder

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Fri Sep 9 20:08:49 UTC 2016

We're being caught up in some sort of peering dispute between Level 3 and
Google (in the Dallas area), and we've fielded several calls from larger
customers complaining of 40-50% packet loss (to 8.8.8.8) when there appears
to be no actual service impacting loss.

We currently suggest customers use a Linux server to ping against, or
another public host.

Ideally we'd like to use a hardware based ICMP system for customer use -
Accedian NIDs are good at this (exceptionally low jitter) accept they
throttle at 500 pings per second.

--
Dan White
BTC Broadband