Another day, another illicit SQUAT - WebNX (AS18450) 103.11.67.0/24

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Oct 28 23:36:45 UTC 2016

In message <CADVNyRb-LE2GAgxae149RUwz5fkzQh-9Es6ZcEg_e0N7LVDa9g at mail.gmail.com>
Doug Clements <dclements at gmail.com> wrote:

>How does one get ARIN to register resources to come up with this result?
>
>https://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=103.11.67.105
>
>The /16 is APNIC but there are 2 subnets that appear to be allocated from
>ARIN. Having just typed 'whois 103.11.67.105' I completely missed the fact
>that the supernet was APNIC until I checked the web interface.

Oh!!  Wow!!  I totally missed this also, i.e. that ARIN is showing an
allocation for 103.11.64.0/22 to HostUs.Us in Texas.

That's really weird, but even that doesn't either explain or excuse
what still looks like an illicit squat (by an unrelated Los Angeles
company) on the 103.11.67.0/24 block to me... perhaps one that's been
re-sold to a spammer (which seems possible, given the spam I got).

In my own defense, I didn't see the ARIN allocation because I have a
normative process that I use for looking up IP addresses.  It's
hierarchical, and I always start with whatver whois.iana.org has to
say.  And it says that that 103.0.0.0/8 belongs to APNIC, so of course,
I only looked at what whois.apnic.net had to say about 103.11.67.105.
And it says that it's unallocated.  (And apparently, data shown for
announced prefixes on the bgp.he.net web site is also obtained in this
same straightforward way, because it also is showing 103.11.67.0/24 as
registered to "Asia Pacific Network Information Centre".)

This isn't the first time I've wished that the right hand knew (or cared)
what the left hand was doing.  I've asked the folks at IANA about this
sort of thing in the past, i.e. them giving pointers to the apparently
wrong RiR whois server, and they just won't fix it.  They just shrug and
say "Not our problem man!"  And in this case, maybe they're right.  If
APNIC gave two subparts of 103/8 to ARIN, it might have been helpful
if their own whois server was made aware of that fact.

Sigh.  I have to keep reminding myself of what one friend of mine keeps
on telling me... "Ron, there you go again, trying to think about these
things logically."

Regards,
rfg