Another day, another illicit SQUAT - WebNX (AS18450) 103.11.67.0/24

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Oct 28 23:07:15 UTC 2016

In message <20161028220510.GF14457 at sizone.org>,
Ken Chase <math at sizone.org> wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 02:40:23PM -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette said:
>  >I'm going to call these turkeys right now and just ask them, point
>  >blank, what the bleep they think they're doing, routing unallocated
>  >APNIC space.
>
>Makin' phat stacks.
>
>One thing the RIRs could do is put pressure on AS's to not route
>these objects,

Will never happen.  The RiRs have been crystal clear, and also utterly
consistant... "Not our job man!  We am not the Internetz Police."

The thing that really baffles me about this kind of thing is how this
kind of crud can happen in the first place, and also, even more baffling,
how it can persist for months on end without anybody even noticing.

I'm looking at this:

   http://lg.ring.nlnog.net/prefix_detail/lg01/ipv4?q=103.11.67.105

which appears to provide a nice list of the rest of the netwits who are
also to blame for this one particular singular bit of idiocy:

     AS2914 -- NTT America, Inc.
     AS1299 -- Telia Company AB
     AS12798 -- Ace Data Centers, Inc.
     AS174 -- Cogent Communications
     AS6939 -- Hurricane Electric, Inc.
     AS3491 -- PCCW Global
     AS7922 -- Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
     AS6762 -- Telecom Italia Sparkle / Seabone
     AS10026 -- Pacnet Global Ltd
     AS11798 -- Ace Data Centers, Inc.

So, um, is it really the case that -none- of the above companies have even
noticed that anything was amiss here, and that all have failed to do so for
months on end?  (Or did they notice, but then felt is wasn't their place to
say anything about it?)

Sorry if those are stupid or naive questions, but...

           "The more I know, the less I understand."
                                 -- Don Henley

Is this just another one of these cases where everybody is responsible and
thus, nobody is?

Is it really the case that none of the above companies ever check that what
their peers announce is consistant with any routing registry?

I don't pretend to understand this stuff.  Somebody please 'splain it to
me.  I'll be much obliged.

Regards,
rfg