Another day, another illicit SQUAT - WebNX (AS18450) 103.11.67.0/24

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Fri Oct 28 22:30:49 UTC 2016

Spammers are doing a great job abusing the gaps in the systems. Another
common pattern in the last 12-14 months has been a combination of squatting
on an AS, forging some business documentation, buying transit to an IX, and
proceeding to hijack prefixes over bilateral peering sessions.

Pain in the rear to catch, even worse when the IX and transit providers
aren't receptive to do anything about it when it's brought to their
attention because the business docs used to instantiate those services are
'good enough', and they have a fiduciary interest in _not_ disconnecting
the IX port or circuit.

This will continue to be the norm until prefix validation is standardized
and in widespread use.