Should abuse mailboxes have quotas?

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Fri Oct 28 00:48:47 UTC 2016

On 10/27/2016 05:36 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> If you get a SMTP reject, then call the the Abuse POC of the organization you
> need to report abuse from.....

Not when the mailbox-full bounce is from a network in China, or India,
or Pakistan, or Russia.  Or a couple of other countries that seem to be
spam havens.

What is my ROI on the cost of the phone call.  MUCH cheaper to put in
netrange blocks, and less time, not to mention the language barriers.  I
can't run a telephone call through Google Translate...

It's NOT MY JOB to accept packets from people who can't seem to follow
the accepted rules of the Internet.  I pine for the old NSF days, when a
sysadmin had to be a BOFH to keep the local network connected to the
'Net at large.  I don't want to suppress innovation as much as the next
guy, but not at the expense of having to deal with childish morons and
greedy bastards who think they can do what they want.  Because no one
disconnects them, they are sent the wrong message about what's permissible.

(I'm grumpy because a couple of days ago I got tangled up in some
medical gear, and ended up slamming my knee squarely into a marble
floor.  It hurts, it does.)