Spitballing IoT Security

bzs at TheWorld.com bzs at TheWorld.com
Thu Oct 27 19:06:13 UTC 2016

Perhaps something which is needed is analogous to Maritime Law's "Law
of Salvage".

If a manufacturer abandons all support of a technical product then
they lose various intellectual property rights which might prevent a
third-party from providing support.

Including reasonable assistance such as providing source code needed
to support that product which could be provided to the third-party
under NDA. But it can't just be refused.

Perhaps this can be triggered by the sort of security concerns
expressed here.

This could be interesting since at least the US govt generally writes
minimal terms of support into purchase contracts such as soonest end
of life from time of purchase, soonest end of support thereafter,
often several years. How that works beyond a vendor's bankruptcy is
beyond the scope of this discussion but suffice it to say it's been
considered.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_salvage

--
        -Barry Shein