Spitballing IoT Security

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Oct 27 11:29:40 UTC 2016

In a message written on Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 05:27:08PM -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> do let me know how I can obtain this month's security patches for my iPhone
> 3GS.
>
> (Note that Wikipedia says that this device was only formally discontinued
> by the manufacturer as of September 12, 2012, i.e. only slightly more
> than 4 short years ago.  Nontheless, the current "security solution" for
> this product, as made available from the manufacturer... a manufacturer
> which is here being held up as a shining example of ernest social responsi-
> bility... is for me to contribute the entire device to my local landfill,
> where it will no doubt leach innumerable heavy metals into the soil for
> my children's children's children to enjoy.)

Actually, they encourage you to trade it in, where it is used for
replacement parts and/or recycled, see
http://www.apple.com/iphone/trade-up/.

If your device is too old for that program, they will still take
it for free and recycle it in an enviornmentally friendly way, see
http://www.apple.com/recycling/.

No iPhone should ever end up in a landfill.  If it does, it's your fault
for not taking advantage of the free recycling.

Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org