Spitballing IoT Security

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Oct 27 01:26:49 UTC 2016

In message <12573.1477530109 at segfault.tristatelogic.com>, "Ronald F. Guilmette" writes:

> In message <58111BD4.80403 at vaxination.ca>,
> Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca> wrote:
>
> >My smart TV not only hasn't gotten updates in years, but Sharp has
> >stopped selling TVs in Canada. (not sure if they still sell TVs elsewhere).
>
> A little more than 2 years ago, I bought a last-of-its-kind demo
> model of a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma TV which was on sale (due to
> having been discontinued by the manufacturer) from the local BestBuy.
>
> Not long after, once I got the thing home, I realized that the
> thing's understanding of current local time... important in
> conjunction with the on-screen TV guide... was locked to Eastern
> Standard Time, and there was no way to change it.  (This was/is
> a bit of a problem for me, as I'm in PST/PDT.)
>
> I called up Panasonic and explained the whole thing to a first-
> level tech support minion.  She had no solution to offer me.
> I insisted on speaking to a manager.
>
> A manager got on the line and I prroceeded to re-explain the whole
> issue to him.  I said that I needed a firmware fix.  He said that
> there was no way the company was going to develop a fix "just for
> you".  Politely, I persisted and said that the TV firmware was
> self-evidently faulty.

Then you return it to the store as "Not Fit For Purpose" and demand
your money back.  Alternatively you pull them into court and have
them honour the warrantee.  Or you move to a juristiction with good
consumer protection laws and sic the government onto them.

Just because a model is discontinued it does not mean that warrantee
issues do not need to be addressed.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC