Spitballing IoT Security

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Oct 24 20:41:39 UTC 2016

Top posting to provide some clarity:

1) Many IoT devices are connected via some cloud service, think Nest (for example)
2) Many IoT devices have cloud management, think of Ruckus, UBNT UniFi, etc that
   phone out to a site via DHCP option or otherwise.
3) Many IoT devices are something like a set top box, these need access to a CDN
   or similar to get the content for the users.
4) Many IoT consumers don’t read NANOG, so they also won’t set up a firewall other
   than to know it is a service impairing tool that must be disabled for their
   devices to work.
5) There are few/no new lessons here compared to the default install of Redhat 3.0.3
   from the late-1990s.  I recall it by default installed INN a usenet news server.
   As a usenet operator, this baffled me as they had insufficient memory, storage
   etc to do this task, and left security surface quite wide.

   We must promote secure by default.  This means some sort of secondary authentication
   such as a sticker on the device with default password or requiring the entering of
   a serial number or basic setup information to work.
6) Devices need to prompt for updates.

   Apple has sorted this nicely, people are prompted for supported upgrades, disjoint
   from carriers and other issues.  Contrast this with other ecosystems where upgrades
   require extra steps or have a non-OEM partner involved (eg: Cell Carrier, Cable Co).

   These devices get less frequent updates, ostensibly for testing but also leave known
   issues exposed for months or years.
7) Malware can damage systems making them require extra steps to recover them.  Whitehats
   may know some mitigation techniques, but can’t protect you either.  Some people have
   taken a more aggressive approach, eg: https://gitlab.com/rav7teif/linux.wifatch

   They will block others from infecting your device until it’s rebooted.

- Jared