Death of the Internet, Film at 11

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Sun Oct 23 21:30:11 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-23 15:46, jim deleskie wrote:
> Sure lets sue people because they put too many/bad packets/packets I don't
> like on the internet.  Do you think this will really solve the porblem?  Do
> you think we'll not just all end up with internet prices like US medical
> care prices?

If this were to get to a court of law, would there be proof that
products Axis IP Camera Inc or Panasonic or even Xerox Printers  were
(partly) responsible for the attack ?

Won't they deflect this to trying to find those who hacked their
products ? Won't they deflect this to onwers who did not secure their
networks from inbound telnet ?

And do those units really declare their port 23 to the NAT router via
UPnP ? that is really really stupid.

One problem with consumer goods is lack of documentation and support.
Could years back, I got a very early Smart RG DSL modem specially
modified to work on Bell Canada's non standard VDSL dslams.

No instruction manual, no documentation. I found a number of bugs in the
software, and sent a lengthy email to document them. As an early
adopter, I wanted to help the company fix those before wider deployment.
(and yes, the units have a command line, and from the command line you
can get into a linux shell).

The response I got:  Unless you sign a contract with one of our
distributors, you cannot report bugs.

Unfortunately, this appears to be widespread with consumer goods vendors
who sell sophisticated devices without documentation or support.