Death of the Internet, Film at 11

bzs at TheWorld.com bzs at TheWorld.com
Sun Oct 23 20:26:17 UTC 2016

I'm not sure who you mean when you say "people". My reference was to
manufacturers of IoT devices only.

But as I said in the note which you quoted lawsuits might be helpful
but aren't necessary.

One just has to get underwriters of the manufacturers' product
liability insurance to acknowledge they have not fully assessed future
financial risks of those policies.

Since manufacturers probably won't like those new increased premiums,
and it's within their control to improve the potential product
liability and get their insurance premiums lowered, they would likely
respond by improving their product (i.e.. security.)

Put in simple terms if your auto insurance company told you your
annual premiums are going up because your tires are bad (whatever) you
might consider getting new tires particularly if the net cost
(increased premiums year after year vs cost of tires) was positive to
you.

Please for the love of all that is sane and reasonable don't quibble
about tires and insurance. If you have a pile of fire-prone materials
near your house, no railings on steps, whatever, you're likely to
prioritize fixing that if your premiums go up sufficiently.

Since manufacturers have huge multipliers (number of devices, number
of potential liability claims) this sort of approach can and has been
effective.

--
        -Barry Shein