Death of the Internet, Film at 11

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sun Oct 23 14:22:20 UTC 2016

Clinton,

This is excellent information. While it's not possible to see passwords in netflows (only headers are included, not packet contents), it's a sure thing that attacked victims could extract a list of infected machines from the IP address scan and then run verification scans against just those devices. Any confirmed infected devices could then be published on a blacklist, a la spam blockers. Providers then could either blackhole (at the source) or filter those addresses.

 -mel