Death of the Internet, Film at 11

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Oct 23 07:08:10 UTC 2016

>From Dyn's statement,

http://hub.dyn.com/static/hub.dyn.com/dyn-blog/dyn-statement-on-10-21-2016-ddos-attack.html

we have

"After restoring service, Dyn experienced a second wave of attacks
just before noon ET. This second wave was more global in nature
(i.e. not limited to our East Coast POPs), but was mitigated in just
over an hour; service was restored at approximately 1:00 pm ET."

I can't reconcile this what I saw on our recursive name servers here
in Norway, looking at the period when Dyn's name servers didn't answer
at all.

We saw the second wave start at around 15:56 UTC (which corresponds
well with "just before noon ET") and end at around 20:00 UTC - so from
our point of view, service was unavailable for around *four* hours.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no