Death of the Internet, Film at 11

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Sat Oct 22 22:30:04 UTC 2016

The person who owns the internet connection still has responsibility for
what happens on it.

So if the owners are educated to select reputable brands in order to
prevent themselves from being implicated in a DDoS and liable for a fine
or some other punitive thing, they 'vote with their feet' and the
fly-by-nighters suddenly lose a chunk of marketshare, unless they up
their game?

I'm as sympathetic to Aunty Em and Grandma as the next
I-started-on-a-helpdesk guys, but 'you get what you pay for' applies
here as much as it does everywhere else...?

On 23/10/2016 11:22 a.m., Josh Reynolds wrote:
> And then what? The labor to clean up this mess is not free. Who's
> responsibility is it? The grandma who got a webcam for Christmas to watch
> the squirrels? The ISP?... No... The vendor? What if the vendor had
> released a patch to fix the issue months back, and grandma hadn't installed
> it?
>
> Making grandma and auntie Em responsible for the IT things in their house
> is likely not going to go well.
>
> Making the vendor responsible might work for the reputable ones to a point,
> but won't work for the fly by night shops that will sell the same products
> under different company names and model names until they get sued or "one
> starred" into oblivion. Then they just change names and start all over.
>
> The ISPs won't do it because of the cost to fix... The labor and potential
> loss of customers.
>
> So once identified, how do you suggest this gets fixed?

*snip*