MPLS in the campus Network?

Javier Solis jhazesnooty at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 17:02:24 UTC 2016

Our campus started off with L2 vlans spanning through the core, but we
migrated to routing in the core and moved our many spanning tree/broadcast
domains to the edge of buildings fronted by redundant routing with ecmp to
a redundant core utilizing ospf.

In a campus network the challenge becomes extending subnets across your
core. You may have a college that started in one building with their own
/24, but now have offices and labs in other buildings. They want to stay on
the same network, but that's not feasible with the routed core setup
without some other technology overlay. We end up not being able to extend
the L2 like we did in the past and today we modify router ACL's to allow
communications. If you already have hundreds of vlans spanned across the
network, it's hard to get a campus to migrate to the routed core. I think
this may be one of Marks challenge, correct me if I'm wrong please.

With that said, what are the best options to be able to cost effectively
scale without using vlans and maintaining a routed core? What technology
would someone suggest (mpls, vxlan,etc) to be the best possible solution?

Thank you to the participants in the discussion. I always enjoy reading
comments posted.

-Javier