nested prefixes in Internet

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 19:44:55 UTC 2016

Den 10/10/2016 kl. 19.24 skrev Niels Bakker:
> * r.engehausen at gmail.com (Roy) [Mon 10 Oct 2016, 19:19 CEST]:
>> I don't think I ever said that ISP-B would announce the /19.  That
>> would only be announced by ISP-A.  ISP-B would only announce the /24
>> that has been delegated to it.
>>
>> If the ISP-A/ISP-B link goes down then the /24 would be seen only via
>> ISP-C which is the desired result.
>
> What if ISP-A then receives traffic inside its /19 destined for
> ISP-B's /24?  It will have to send it over transit and won't bill
> ISP-B for that traffic.  You cannot expect 100% of the rest of the
> Internet to honour the more specific all the time.

Is that a real problem? In my experience a /24 is honoured almost
universially.

If we assume the big tier 1 transit providers honour the /24
announcement, the only possible way for ISP-A to receive traffic via the
/19 is if ISP-A is directly peered with someone that ignores the /24.

Even if some small amount of traffic does go that route, it might not be
viewed as a problem as the volume is likely to be very low.

Regards,

Baldur