Voice channels (FTTH, DOCSIS, VoLTE)

Luke Guillory lguillory at reservetele.com
Mon Nov 28 03:18:20 UTC 2016

With MGCP we're just using DSx Qos which is just services classification within the packet cable standard. Still runs over the same docsis network as all other traffic and not separated besides qos side of things.

We use a 64K reserved channel to set the call up, after that each call has its own service flow that is QOSed.

We also have reserved BW in the CMTS for 911 calls so that they always get through.

Where the modem resides in relation to 911 isn't really a factor as we go by services address for the account, a customer could moved the modem to another house across town and it will still work.

I know Time Warner has completely separate networks for voice and data, they didn't even reside on the same CMTS from what I understand. Don't know of anyone else doing it that way.

Luke

Sent from my iPhone