rfc 1812 third party address on traceroute

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 31 14:35:30 UTC 2016

It seems to me that a plain text reading of RFC-1812 is as Randy describes undesirable. It also seems that the violation of this text is commonplace in actual implementations because of yet another time where operators have made it clear to developers that the IETF is silly.

I like the Linux solution... Comply with the RFC by default and provide a knob to do the "right thing" if desired.

Best of all would be to put forth an errata against RFC1813 to change the text to specify the inbound interface of the packet triggering the ICMP message when applicable. The behavior currently described should be preserved for ICMP packets which are not triggered by inbound packets.

Owen