Question on peering strategies

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue May 24 10:19:23 UTC 2016

> On May 24, 2016, at 6:11 AM, Max Tulyev <maxtul at netassist.ua> wrote:
>
> If you dig into hijacking topic more, you will see that hijacks through
> Tier1 is same or even more popular than through IXes.

You may not have a view into that you’re being hijacked and used to send
SPAM for example:

https://ripe72.ripe.net/presentations/45-Invisible_Hijacking.pdf

Their space was hijacked and announced facing Yahoo.  I’m hoping that
Yahoo is now feeding public route views services as a method to help
with detection.  Same goes for Microsoft and Google and other e-mail
providers.  Some sunlight here would help avoid similar localized hijacks.

> And if someone want to make me a transit offer for the price of DE-CIX
> (I do not even ask the price of DTEL-IX peering ;) ) - please, contact
> me off-list, I will be really happy.

Pricing obviously varies based on location and a few other criteria, but
you should be shopping if this is a major part of your business.

- Jared