SNMP "bridging"/proxy?

Jeff Gehlbach jeffg at opennms.org
Mon May 23 22:29:52 UTC 2016

On 05/23/2016 05:51 PM, Eric Kuhnke wrote:

> Exposing the data via SNMP on the host to be monitored distributes the CPU
> load individually onto each host

So much this. Most importantly, it removes the fork/exec overhead from
the monitoring server.

> This allows cacti or opennms or anything else to poll the hosts to be
> monitored via something that scales better than php script workers, using
> the 'spine' SNMP data acquisition method and the equivalent in other snmp
> polling platforms.

Point of fact for OpenNMS users: all our collectors are in-process, so
in cases where SNMP is impractical you can use the XML/JSON or JDBC or
WS-Management collector and still achieve great scale with a single server.

But SNMP still scales and interoperates like nothing else.

-jeff