Question on peering strategies

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon May 23 16:50:34 UTC 2016

As mentioned by others, they do exist, but usually not for exactly the reason you state.

In most cases, peers go to PNI instead of peering via the exchange when it does not make
sense to grow laterally at the exchange for significant bilateral traffic. It’s much
less expensive to get a cross-connect from my router to your router than for both of
us to add a cross-connect to the exchange and each pay for an additional exchange port.

Example: If I have 12.5 gigs of traffic to the exchange and 8 gigs of that is to
autonomous system X while the remaining 4.5 G goes to random other peers, then it
makes much more sense for both X and I to connect directly (PNI) than for each of
us to order an additional exchange port to support that traffic.

Owen