Cost-effectivenesss of highly-accurate clocks for NTP

Chuck Church chuckchurch at gmail.com
Mon May 16 14:50:29 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at nanog.org] On Behalf Of Leo Bicknell
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2016 10:28 AM
To: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: Cost-effectivenesss of highly-accurate clocks for NTP

>For a typical site, there are two distinct desires from the same NTP
process.

>First, synchronization with the rest of the world, which is generally over
the WAN and the topic that was well discussed in your post.
>I agree completely that the largest factor is WAN jitter.

>Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org
>PGP keys at http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/

I was just thing about this WAN jitter issue myself.  I'm wondering how many
folks put NTP traffic in priority queues?  At least for devices in your
managed IP ranges.  Seems like that would improve jitter.  Would like to
hear about others doing this successfully prior to suggesting it for our
network.

Chuck