CALEA

Brian Mengel bmengel at gmail.com
Thu May 12 15:28:42 UTC 2016

My comments were strictly limited to my understanding of CALEA as it
applied to ISPs, not telcos.  A request for a lawful intercept can entail
mirroring a real time stream of all data sent to/from a customer's Internet
connection (cable modem/DSL/dedicated Ethernet) to a LEA.  AFAIK this
requires mediation before being sent to the LEA and it is the mediation
server itself that initiates the intercept when so configured by the ISP.
Perhaps some LEAs have undertaken the mediation function so as to
facilitate these intercepts where the neither the ISP nor a third party can
do so.  If that were the case then very little would be needed on the part
of the ISP in order to comply with a request for lawful intercept.  I can
say with certainty that these types of requests are being made of broadband
ISPs though I agree that they are very rare.