NIST NTP servers

Jon Meek meekjt at gmail.com
Wed May 11 15:40:03 UTC 2016

A note on using a Raspberry Pi as a NTP server. In my limited home lab
testing the RPi server had enough instability that Internet time sources
were always preferred by my workstation after ntpd had been running for a
while. Presumably this was due to the RPi's clock frequency drifting. At
some point I will look at it again.

If you do want to build your own Stratum 1 server you might want to glance
at:

https://github.com/meekj/ntp/blob/master/jon_meek_ntp_poster2009a.pdf

and the references there.

I had hoped to use the very low cost RPi Stratum 1 servers at $DAY_JOB, but
the test device was clearly not up to the job. At some point I hope to
revisit this and do some more testing like I did for that poster. I'll add
in a CDMA server and a dedicated WWVB receiver.

Jon