NIST NTP servers

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Wed May 11 07:24:45 UTC 2016

Regarding Roland’s reference to time and position spoofing via a hacked GPS signal, the hacker has to get physical line of sight to the victim’s antenna in order to succeed with this attack. That’s likely within a few blocks, if not within a few feet. And a rooftop antenna might require a drone attack. And how does the drone get guidance without a reliable GPS signal? :)

Eric, I agree that sometimes a site can’t get a GPS signal, but in my experience designing data centers, that’s still pretty rare. Many NTP systems use an active GPS antenna that can be hundreds of feet away. But you can always put the $300 NTP server in an outdoor enclosure and power it with PoE.

There’s always CDMA, GSM, and even WWV for a less-accurate plan B time source.  Here’s a somewhat pricey ($700) CDMA gizmo I haven’t investigated yet:

http://www.beaglesoft.com/celsynhowworks.htm

And their $400 WWV-based Stratum 1 time server:

http://www.beaglesoft.com/radsynreceiver.htm

So if you want non-Internet clock diversity, you can have clock diversity. You just have to pay for it.

 -mel