NIST NTP servers

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Tue May 10 20:23:04 UTC 2016

Accurate time to the millisecond is pretty much essential for any network troubleshooting. Say you want to diagnose a SIP problem. You collect transaction logs from both phones, the VoIP gateway, and the PBX. Now you try to merge them to derive the sequence of events. You NEED millisecond accuracy.

But more importantly, Gary is right about the risks. I’ve had several customers receive major NTP DoS attacks using forged source addresses. In today’s Internet, there is very little source address verification (despite several mechanisms being proposed). Everyone relies on the originating network preventing spoofing, but thousands of ISPs — particularly overseas — do not do spoof checks.

And the issues of NTP pollution are even more dangerous. As Gary notes, changing dates is a risk. A big enough change (say 30 days) would be catastrophic to most accounting systems. A big leap — a year or more — could expire software license and disable all kinds of encryption. We haven’t even discussed multi-stage attacks, where NTP is used to disrupt systems at multiple points, and then the attacker storms in and takes over unnoticed during the confusion.

All because of misplaced trust in a tiny UDP packet that can worm its way into your network from anywhere on the Internet.

I say you’re crazy if you don’t run a GPS-based NTP server, especially given that they cost as little as $300 for very solid gear. Heck, get two or three!

 -mel