sub $500-750 CPE firewall for voip-centric application

Eygene Ryabinkin rea+nanog at grid.kiae.ru
Sun May 8 16:41:23 UTC 2016

Fri, May 06, 2016 at 09:51:15PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On 6/May/16 21:40, Josh Reynolds wrote:
> > I've been very happy with the 2.3 release. Modularizing everything and the
> > new bootstrap GUI is very nice. Updated BSD code base is a godsend.
>
> I was just about to ask the experienced coders whether the new GUI in
> 2.3 fixes a lot of problems of the past...
>
> And yes, 2.3 is running FreeBSD 10.3.

Just use FreeBSD without pfSense stuff -- it is easier ;)) Modulo the
absence of the network-based installation for FreeBSD via PXE [1] out
of the box (well, it is doable, but I'd prefer to have an easier way
and Linuxen have that), so large-scale stuff is a bit tough.  Was
discussed several times in FBSD lists, big players have their own
homegrown stuff from the early days of the universe, others are either
not doing that or relying on the existing recipes.  And there are not
sufficient others of the big $SCALE :(

<ohh-well mode>
[1] Something I'm trying to find the time for the past 5-6 years,
should finally do that.
</ohh-well mode>
--
Eygene Ryabinkin, National Research Centre "Kurchatov Institute"

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be
a violent psychopath who knows where you live.