BGP peering strategies for smaller routers

Chuck Church chuckchurch at gmail.com
Wed May 4 17:14:30 UTC 2016

Hi Nick,

>You missed the point. Sloppy memory management is a "canary in a coal mine." It's a user-visible symptom that reflects poor code quality underneath. Programmers who >don't care how much ram they're consuming are the same fools who catch and then ignore exceptions, don't bother evaluating the big-oh running time of their algorithms >(often have no idea what that is) and engage in a variety of other bad practices that you as the customer suffer for but never directly see.

That Cisco URL covering ASR1K memory details did mention that due to 64 bit, everything does use more memory.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/116777-technote-product-00.html
 My biggest beef is that right off the bat, IOSd process only gets half the physical RAM.   I'm not sure of that reasoning.  Maybe to support ISSU with SW redundancy?  Would be nice to be able to disable or tune that.  I'm not sure what else that memory would be reserved for.  It doesn't seem right that 2 full feeds works fine on an ISR with 768MB RAM, yet doesn't work on a 1K with 4 gigs of RAM.

Chuck