BGP peering strategies for smaller routers

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Mon May 2 20:34:26 UTC 2016

Mike, the ASR1k series has several ESP options (ESP5, 10, 20, 40, 100,
200). Each ESP comes with a fixed amount of forwarding tcam which holds
the forwarding information base (FIB). The ESP5 has 5MB of tcam can hold
~500k routes. The ESP10 has 10MB of tcam, so theoretically should hold
roughly double (1 million routes). The ESP20 and ESP40 have 40MB of tam;
Cisco quotes these as 4 million routes.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/datasheet-c78-731640.html

There are two route processor (RP) options for the ASR1k series. The RP1
and RP2. If you have 4GB, then you have an upgraded RP1. Which Cisco
quotes at 1,000,000 IP4 routes *OR* 500k IP6 routes. Not to get too
nitty gritty, but I would simplify these to say that there are 1,000,000
route slots; each IP4 route takes 1 slot and each IP6 route takes 2.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/data_sheet_c78-441072.html

As others have noted, the best routes from the BGP table and other
routing tables are condensed into the overall routing information base
(RIB) and stored in DRAM. The RIB is then condensed into the FIB and
stored as TCAM. Adding additional BGP peers will take minimal amounts of
FIB if you're receiving the same full feed from both. The effect on the
RIB and overall router memory is usually not that great either (I think
on the ASR1k platform it's maybe ~100MB per peer). If you have an
ESP10+, you're fine for two or more full feeds. If you have an ESP5, you
really don't have the hardware to hold a single full feed.

--Blake