BGP peering strategies for smaller routers

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Mon May 2 19:07:00 UTC 2016

Hello,

     I have an ASR1000 router with 4gb of ram. The specs say I can get
'1 million routes' on it, but as far as I have been advised, a full
table of internet routes numbers more than 530k by itself, so taking 2
full tables seems to be out of the question (?).

      I am looking to connect to a second ip transit provider and I'm
looking for any advice or strategies that would allow me to take
advantage and make good forwarding decisions while not breaking the bank
on bgp memory consumption. I simply don't understand how this would
likely play out and what memory consumption mitigation steps may be
necessary here. Im open to ideas... a pair of route reflectors?
selective bgp download? static route filter maps?

Thank you.

Mike-