Oh dear, we've all been made redundant...

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Sat Mar 26 06:15:03 UTC 2016

On 3/25/2016 09:39, Bryan Bradsby wrote:
>> Uggghhh.  I've always hated this 'reboot, see if it fixes it'
>> methodology.  If the CPEs can't recover from error conditions
>> correctly, they shouldn't be used.  I blame Microsoft for making this
>> concept acceptable.
>>
>> Chuck
>
> I was getting 20% TCP packet loss between two of my unix boxes on the
> TWC route from my house to work, so I called support.
>
> I used lft - like tcptraceroute - both directions, to identify a TWC
> backbone router in Dallas as the problem. I then used the TWC looking
> glass to show the same result.
>
> I was told i needed to reboot my router to troubleshoot. I offered to
> reboot my router, after he rebooted his router in Dallas  ;)

Conversation with one of my daughters earlier about a problem in her
office today (short summary as I recall it):  Changes made to their VOIP
system the night before,  stuff broken the next day.

She tried to get "support" to look at the changes made, "support" would
not do anything until she had rebooted everything including the
microwave, I guess.

Back in the day--my main trouble shooting strategy was to identify all
the things that had changed since it last worked the way it was supposed
to.  The big trouble with that approach is that everybody and their pet
spider will decide which changes are "important".

--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)