mrtg alternative

Jeff Gehlbach jeffg at opennms.org
Wed Mar 23 16:50:40 UTC 2016

"Vendor" here (technologist role, occasionally helping with sales, at
OpenNMS.com)...

On 03/23/2016 09:32 AM, Ben Bartsch wrote:
> We used StatSeeker at a large state government WAN (my last gig
> before turning consultant) and I personally loved it for graphs and
> to point customers to (you can easily set up user accounts where they
> can log in via a web portal and they can see the graphs you assign
> them).  I have no idea how much it costs or how easy / difficult the
> backend server set up is.

We're in the middle of a project with a customer to replace StatSeeker
with OpenNMS. That's a very realistic goal now that Cassandra is an
option for our time-series metric storage.

StatSeeker can definitely get expensive, but I can't speak to ease of
setup or operation.

> We also had OpenNMS and Intermapper, both of which were kind of
> quirky, but seemed to get the job done.

Glad to hear we got the job done. I'm the first to admit that custom
graph configuration in OpenNMS itself is still pretty crap (it amounts
to editing RRDTool graph definitions).

That's a big part of why we now have a Grafana data source plugin:

http://www.opennms.org/wiki/Grafana

> We had internal support for OpenNMS, which was decent (as good as
> your staff is).

I'm the person responsible for making the support experience far above
"decent". I'd love to hear your thoughts on how we can improve; please
contact me off-list if you have the time and inclination.

-jeff