Paging someone at SonicWall/Dell

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Tue Mar 22 01:47:05 UTC 2016

All,

If anyone has any contacts at Dell/SonicWall that can assist, their latest
firewalls have a misfeature that have started blocking F-root (ISC, my
Day-job) as a possible botnet responder.

You can reach me, 24/7, at 703-338-2497, or at dmahoney at isc.org.

Needless to say, this is seriously bad.  As we ourselves are not
Sonicwall users, our options here are limited.

I've gotten their usual call center nonsense where they told me "I need to
contact my system administrator" and wouldn't transfer me further.

I've submitted a "removal" request via the form at
http://botnet.global.sonicwall.com/change, but that still doesn't help if
there's a firmware out there doing broken hueristics and mass-DDOSing
folks.

If for some reason there actually IS some botnet-related traffic going on
toward the root servers (the root servers get a LOT of garbage, so this
doesn't surprise me), we'd like to know that too.

-Dan Mahoney