10gig pricing with Verizon crazy?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Mar 16 21:58:37 UTC 2016

> On Mar 16, 2016, at 5:48 PM, David Hubbard <dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com> wrote:
>
> Curious if anyone has had similar experience; looking for a 10gig transit circuit at a colo, contacted VZ as they’re on net in the facility, quoted me an astronomical amount at 10-20x going rates these days.  I’m curious if I just happened across a bad rep and should dig further, or that’s par for the course?  Rep was comfortable talking about BGP, v4/v6, etc. so I felt like I was talking to the right person until I saw the price lol.

In the brief period of time when I was not at my current employer I had a similar experience.  It wasn’t even worth my time to negotiate with them for a proper price, I basically told them they were way too high and moved on.

I’ve heard the right reps can get the proper pricing, but I wonder how much this is facility costs vs something else.

Carriers in my experience are pretty good at knowing their local market options, and unless you’re all going to locked-in 701 eyeballs it may be worthwhile to talk to someone else.

- Jared