Cogent - Google - HE Fun

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Mar 16 20:17:52 UTC 2016

> On Mar 16, 2016, at 12:42 , Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
>

> On 16/Mar/16 21:23, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> Please confirm that you in fact are receiving 174 * 6939 IPv6 paths from them?
>>
>> Seems unlikely to me.
>
> Nope (neither IPv4 nor IPv6) - they are about 1,500 IPv6 routes short
> from what we see from the others.

Which means that they didn’t meet your requirements, but you bought from them
anyway. Even in 2014, they still don’t have a full IPv6 table, despite their
claim to the contrary.

> You're welcome to poke if you want to test my perspective:
>
>    http://as37100.net/

I believe you.

> They've obviously regressed a little bit, although it appears they never
> did have any engagement with HE in particular, for either IP protocol.
> In fairness, we knew getting into bed with Cogent would bring Daily Joy,
> which is why we considered them last of all the major networks to on-board.
>
> But as I said before, we have sufficient transit and peering that
> Cogent's insufficiencies do not impact us. For now, what they have on
> their network offers us some value (and they aren't necessarily any
> cheaper than any of our other transit providers). If that value should
> drop below a level where having them on the network is neither here nor
> there, they'll get the boot.

Sure, that’s valid and I’m not criticizing your decision. Just saying that
according to you, Cogent outright lied to you in 2014 and you let them get
away with it.

Owen