Cogent - Google - HE Fun

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 14:58:05 UTC 2016

On 16 March 2016 at 14:56, Dennis Bohn <bohn at adelphi.edu> wrote:

> So if someone (say an eyeball network) was putting out a RFQ for a gig say
> of upstream cxn and wanted to spec full reachability to the full V6 net,
> what would the wording for that spec look like?
> Would that get $provider's attention?

But is that even possible to deliver? I might have some address space that
I only advertised with no export to a single peer - does that count? If
some third party decides to stop advertising a prefix to $provider are they
then in breach of contract with no way to resolve it? If so, I want to sign
up and then I will pull some insignificant prefix, just so I can demand $5
million USD in ransom money.

Google decided they have some prefixes they don't want to advertise to
Cogent. They did offer a reasonable way for Cogent to resolve that issue,
but what if Google werent reasonable? Do you still demand that Cogent cave
in to anything?

I see no easy way here other than let the market decide. If Cogent sucks
they will get less traffic and less customers. Or maybe someone finds them
useful at the pricepoint they offer.

Regards,

Baldur