DataCenter color-coding cabling schema

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Mar 14 18:39:30 UTC 2016

> On Mar 14, 2016, at 04:42 , Eygene Ryabinkin <rea+nanog at grid.kiae.ru> wrote:
>
> Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 05:10:26PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> Whatever you do, please do not use Flag labels on cables… I HATE
>> THEM. They are a constant source of entanglement and snags. They
>> often get knocked off as a result or mangled beyond recognition,
>> rendering them useless.
>
> Hadn't seen that for ages, using Brother P-touch printers for
> small amounts of work and Avery Zweckform paper + laser printing
> for large cable installations.  This stuff (Avery paper),
>  http://computing.kiae.ru/~rea/wiring-porn-2.jpeg
> lives already for 5+ years and outlived many replacements of
> spine modules (that's InfiniBand fabric) and other operations
> without labels being ruined in any way.

Sorry… To be clear, those hideous attrocities of P-Touch nastiness
are exactly what I meant by flag labels. I had forgotten about the
plastic zip ties with the over-sized surface on the ratchet.

Compare to:

http://www.cableorganizer.com/images/brady/brady-idxpert/labels-markers/images/01-idxpert-markers-labels-cables.jpg

http://neumannmarking.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/135866255-300x199.jpg

http://www.hotblog.co.uk/boblittlepr/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/cable-labels_Cormant_1.jpg

Admittedly, I’m not wild about the bar-code scheme in the last one as I prefer human-readable labels, but YMMV.

Owen