Why the US Government has so many data centers

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 22:34:04 UTC 2016

I really don't care about AWS sales (customer, but not investor or employee).  But...

If it's not highly loaded, cloud is cheaper.

If it's not in a well run datacenter / machine room, cloud is FAR more reliable.

The cost of blowing up hardware in less than well run machine rooms / datacenters can be immense.  At a now defunct cell provider, we lost a badly maintained machine room to fire, only about 24 racks, $2.1 million damage.  And nearly burned down the Frys Palo Alto building.  And that's just the worst catastrophe; had more losses than that in smaller clusters / onsies.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone